Header Ads

Metis CDS Debbie Berebichez to Women in STEM: Chase Your Dreams

In this exclusive interview, Berbichez shares her thoughts on shaping the STEM conversation to make it more inclusive for women.
Metis Chief Data Scientist
Debbie Berebichez

  1. TNW: Describe the trajectory of your career. How did you get where you are today?ggggggggggggggggggggggg
  2. Debbie Berebichez: I grew up in Mexico City, and I was part of a conservative community that discouraged women from studying STEM (science, technology, engineering and 2. mathematics) fields. I was told that I should probably study something easier and more feminine than physics. My mom told me not to tell boys that I liked math, because I'd have a hard time meeting someone.
  3. When it came time to go to college, I applied to schools to study philosophy, which was a field where I could ask questions that seemed more appropriate for girls. I realized, though, that the more I tried to hide my love of physics and math, the more it threatened to come out. I wanted to know about the universe and how things worked.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.